Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Keeping Current

I'm trying to keep both blogs going, so here's my post that you can find over at Amateur Journalism, too.

This is truly called a rant. If you don’t want to read my thoughts, please skip this post. Many others are happy and more cheerful.

--

Why is it that we as humans get so wrapped up in this world? I mean, even as Christians, it’s so hard to let go of anything special here on earth. Special people become too special, that nice house that you just moved into becomes your addiction, and both usually have to go away because God is jealous.

My sister has described me as obsessive-compulsive, and she’s probably right. No, I’m not taking drugs (although I probably need to…that’s another story for another day), but I do obsess a lot. The everyday interactions with people are bad enough, but what do you do when something in particular catches your attention and you can’t stop thinking about it? What then?

These are the times that try men’s souls…or a woman’s soul…I’m a Christian teenager, so I’m supposed to have all the answers, right? Hah! Far from it. I wander the halls these days, moping, getting frustrated with myself because I know I shouldn’t be moping, shouldn’t be unhappy. But I am.

I don’t have all the answers, and I’m still working on this one, but I believe that this unhappiness and misery is just another way of God calling us. He shows us how miserable this world is and calls us to Himself. Darn it, I wish I would learn another way than through pain, though!

Zephaniah 3:17 comes to mind:

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.

Psalm 37, perhaps one of my favorite Psalms, also calls:

Psalm 37:3-7a

Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this:

He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;

Then, of course, particularly poignant right now is

Philippians 4:11

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content

I Timothy 6:8

And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting thoughts. I wish I could get mine down on 'paper' like you can. I usually just think about them and get frustrated so I go check my email. :)
Do you go to a Christian school?

March 15, 2007 6:27 AM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Chris, I know what you mean about just getting frustrated with your thoughts. I'd been frustrated with these ones for a while, so I decided to put them on my blog because it gives structure to them. When other people might read it, you aren't going to just rant and rave. :P E-mail is a nice way to change your thoughts, though.

My parents have an interesting theory that we kids listen to music to drown out our thoughts. They're probably right. In fact, I know they're right to a certain extent, but sometimes I wonder if it's detrimental to not hear your thoughts. At the same time, God speaks to us in stillness, so that's important.

Okay, I'm ranting in a comment. My apologies!

No, I don't go to an official Christian school. I'm actually homeschooled. You?

March 15, 2007 7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah sometimes I can get my thoughts together and put them down on paper. I know, I think thats why I check it so much cuz I'm bored.
I've never heard that theory before. Its really interesting. I've never thought of it but I think I would agree with it. I like to listen to music. and I do it TOO get my thoughts off problems and stuff. And for enjyoment.
cool I got my thoughts together. thanks for the little shove. :)

Yeah I'm homeschooled too. What grade are you in? I'm in 11th.

March 16, 2007 6:18 AM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Yay, I'm glad you were able to get your thoughts together. Glad I could help...however I did... :P

You're right about music being a nice way to avoid thoughts. Sometimes I feel like killing someone (I know--*gasp*), and music is a nice deterrent. However, I think that it's good to focus on those thoughts. We know that they're not good, so it's good to get to the point where we're actually repentant for them.

The computer is really nice for gathering your thoughts together because you can do the backspace, delete, etc. stuff to try to make sense. Rambling can make sense if it's in the right order...if that makes sense. :D

We're in the same grade! Coolness!

March 18, 2007 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol,
Yeah music can keep you from confronting sin in our lives too. What kind of music do you listen to?
Yup the computer is nice for rambling. its faster to type and you can get stuff done faster than on paper.
Thats cool, so what do you use? I use Bob Jones. But I'm not going there to college. Are you thinking about college?

March 19, 2007 4:50 PM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Music? Me? Well, check out http://amateurjournalism.blogspot.com for some of my favorites. I like softer stuff, generally, though. You?

I don't use a set curriculum. Bob Jones I've heard is nice, but I don't think we've ever really used them. My parents went there, and I might be going there...we shall see...

What are your college plans?

March 28, 2007 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home