Friday, March 30, 2007

Change is in the air

I am going from having all my deep, philosophical thoughts being on An Amateur Journalist's Insights to them all being here, thanks to Mark. We shall see how it works...

But first to copy one of my rants from over there:

Think of your most favorite person in the whole world. Maybe it’s someone you have a crush on, maybe it’s someone you look up to for counsel. Maybe it’s someone who’s always there to listen to you. Whoever it is, they have qualities that you admire, right?

Before this turns into a cross-examination (in case you don’t know, that’s debate lingo...), let me explain why I ask. There was a time in my life when I just appreciated people for who they were. If they had qualities that I admired, I loved them for those qualities, but when they disappointed me, well, I was disappointed with them. To an extent, that’s still the case, but I’ve made a realization in the past few months, really: any good qualities I see in my most favorite person are given from God, who is the epitome of that character.

For example, good looks. Looks are cool, but they aren’t everything. If the person you hold dear is good-looking, realizing that God gave them those looks and that He is abundantly better-looking than they are helps keep things in perspective. If the person you hold dear is strong and brave, realizing that God is eons more so again helps keep things in perspective.

I say this because, as I’ve explained before, I tend to obsess. Obsession is okay (in moderation...if there is such a thing...), but placing the person you think so much about before God is not a good idea. He will take them away if they’re blocking you from Him. In order to keep from worshipping that special person, realize that every good quality you could wish for in a guy or gal is already inherent (oy...debate lingo is hard to avoid...) in your Heavenly Father.

It’s really incredible to realize that even though He has given us this desire to be loved, He loves us more than our future spouse ever can. Even though He has given girls the desire to be protected, He protects us already. Even though He has given guys the desire to be affirmed, He already affirms them. I say “even though,” but really it should be “because”.

He has given us these desires, which to some extent are satisfied (?) in marriage, but ultimately, He is the only One who will satisfy, and you don’t even have to be married to realize it.

Maybe you’re wondering what set off this rant. If you can hear the music on here, it’s called “Every Time I Look at You”. It’s a horribly mushy song, but I love it! The words are as follows:

I used to think that I was strong/ I realize now I was wrong/ 'Cause every time I see your face/ My mind becomes an empty space/ And with you lying next to me / Feels like I can hardly breathe

I close my eyes/ The moment I surrender to you/ Let love be blind/ Innocent and tenderly true / So lead me through tonight / But please turn out the light / 'Cause I'm lost every time I look at you

And in the morning when you go/ Wake me gently so I'll know/ That loving you was not a dream/ And whisper softly what it means to be with me/ Then every moment we're apart/ Will be a lifetime to my heart

I close my eyes/ The moment I surrender to you/ Let love be blind/ Innocent and tenderly true/ So lead me through tonight/ But please, please turn out the light/ 'Cause I'm lost every time I look at you/ Lost. Every time I look at you

Romance is great. But there’s already Someone out there who is offering you all the love you need. Will you accept it? Will you be satisfied with what He has to offer?

Psalm 37: 4

Delight yourself also in the Lord,

And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

*Note: Although the words aren't that wonderful, the music itself is simply beautiful. I love it!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark Watson said...

Wow, your posts are really deep, Allegra. My blog never gets this deep.

I agree though, if God is not the one we love the most then what is the point of anything else? Our "favorite person" on this earth does not give us eternal life and is not the God of the universe. I think Matthew 10:37-39 illustrates it best:

37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

March 31, 2007 4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great post.
Yeah I saw what you listen to on your other blog. Its pretty much the same stuff I listen too.
As for college, I'm thinking about going to Baptist Bible College. Have you heard of it? I visited that college and became 'sold' on it. So Lordwilling, I'll be going there fall of 08.

March 31, 2007 4:58 PM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Mark, you hit the nail on the head. Funny how my "revelations" are already recorded in the Bible many times. Guess it comes back to what C.S. Lewis said (and I'm paraphrasing here): "If at the end of my life, if I can sincerely say, 'Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so,' then I have learned all I need to know." (Or something like that...I've never actually seen it, but Dad has told me about it many times.)

Chris, that's cool that we have similar tastes in music.

No, I've never actually heard of Baptist Bible College. Sorry. Where is it? Hope that God blesses your decision as you finish up school and focus on going there.

April 01, 2007 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home