Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Spring

I've been working on putting together something coherent that all my wonderful readers would enjoy, and Chris’ comment about posting something interesting again has finally pushed me to doing it. You shall see if Chris’ comment is appreciated or not... *insert creepy music* :P

So...

I love spring. The beauty of the newly-blossoming trees (well, when they’re not covered in snow), the fragrance of growing things (when it isn’t causing my allergies to go berserk), and the promise of the end of school (that DOES help...) all combine to make me glad to be alive.

It’s 70 degrees this evening. The sun is probably an hour from setting, and there is barely any wind stirring the trees and my hair. The neighborhood dogs are barking at something as usual, but two meadowlarks conversing on either side of our property make the warmth and stillness truly spring-like. Motorcycles traveling down the road are yet another reminder that it’s now warm enough to do things that winter weather prevents us from doing.

If Lydia were writing right now instead of me, you’d be able to feel what she’s feeling. But I’ll do my best to share the peace, contentment, and yet deep longing for something more. First, let me share with you the peace and contentment that comes from realizing that the God I serve is more powerful than we can even begin to realize.

The song, “How Great Thou Art,” was written by Stuart K. Hine, and came from a Swedish folk melody. It is one of my most favorite hymns, and I think it says best what I’m trying to convey:

O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy pow’r tho’out the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul,
My Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art,
How great thou art!
Then sings my soul,
My Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art,
How great thou art!

When thro’ the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees,
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze;

Then sings my soul,
My Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art,
How great thou art!
Then sings my soul,
My Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art,
How great thou art!

And when I think that God, his son not sparing,
Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.

Then sings my soul,
My Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art,
How great thou art!
Then sings my soul,
My Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art,
How great thou art!

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, my God, how great thou art.

Job also put it in a way that helps one understand God’s majesty:

“The dead are in deep anguish, those beneath the waters and all that live in them. Death is naked before God; Destruction lies uncovered. He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing. He wraps up the waters in his clouds, yet the clouds do not burst under their weight. He covers the face of the full moon, spreading his clouds over it. He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters for a boundary between light and darkness. The pillars of heaven quake, aghast at his rebuke. By his power he churned up the sea; by his wisdom he cut Rahab to pieces. By his breath the skies became fair; his hand pierced the gliding serpent. And these are but the outer fringe of his works; how faint the whisper we hear of him! Who then can understand the thunder of his power?” (Job 26:5-14)


The atmosphere of a spring evening outdoors is one of utter peace and contentment, yet it is hard (for me at least) to remain focused simply on the here and now. I generally begin longing for the future: When the fruit trees all produce fruit; when flowers blossom; when we can swim in the horse trough that is a working substitute for a plastic pool in our yard; and yes, even for the time when we have to mow again. Spring is beautiful, but it is not the “ultimate season”—it is simply pointing us toward the future.

I have been challenged recently to think about two things (one is related to this topic of spring, while the other could be...): First, living for today versus living for tomorrow. When you hear someone talk about living for today, it usually sounds secular. I say that because secularists, the people who believe there is no God, have no reason to live beyond the day. The saying “let us eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die,” applies to them.

Christians are the ones who live for the future, for a greater glory. They are held to a standard by which they know they will be judged. They are hopefully storing up for themselves treasure in heaven rather than treasure on earth.

Is it possible, then, that Christians should also live for the current day, live life to its fullest? (You might be saying, “well, if you put it that way, yes!”) Okay, I am trying to put it in a favorable light because I do believe so. I believe that Christian teenagers, who are constantly looking at the future and wishing they were there instead, should realize that life right now is where they are being molded into the adults they will be for the rest of their lives.

I say “they”...I mean “we”...

Yes, while it is important for us to store up our treasure in heaven, it is also important to live the life we have RIGHT NOW to the fullest instead of always longing for the future. Dreaming about our wedding day instead of building the character that we need as a spouse will not do. Planning for how we will take out a loan (not like any of us do THAT...) instead of learning how to manage our money does nothing.

The second thing I’ve been learning about (and maybe this does have more to do with spring than I give it credit for) has been the concept of worshipping, honoring and glorifying God even when I don’t feel like it. As a girl, I’m very “in touch” with my emotions, meaning that when I feel like praising God, I REALLY feel like praising Him. But when I don’t feel like it, I don’t praise Him. This is wrong.

You see, God created man to glorify Him. Westminster’s Shorter Catechism asks: “What is the chief end of man?” The answer: “Man’s chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.” God created us to glorify Him, and it really doesn’t matter how we feel on the subject.

While it is wonderful to feel in awe of God, there are times when we don’t feel like praising Him. We’d rather read a book or go sob in our corner. If we can praise Him even at those times, we are truly worshipping Him. We are actually sacrificing something and really honoring Him when we praise Him during those times.

So now you know what I’ve been thinking about lately. What are your thoughts on seasons, living for the moment, worshipping God or anything else?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said! There's a big difference between living FOR the moment and living IN the moment. It's importaint to live IN the moment to prepare for the future.

May 01, 2007 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Another rant. :D Yes, its a great post. I think we do need to live IN the moment. And part of this means helping others to see the light. THough I think that the constint desire for something later (i.e. summer, swimming, NOT mowing grass)
is actually our longing desire for Heaven. I could be wrong on that but its one of my thoughts on the subject.

Actually to tell you the truth, you do have a way with words. I could see exactly what you were describing. Of course its my imagination but pictures just started popping to my head. Good job. :D

May 01, 2007 11:42 AM  
Blogger Mark Watson said...

Nate, I agree with you; we should live in the moment rather than living for the moment. I am going through the book "The Pursuit of God" by Tozer with some other guys in our church, and one of the things I got from Chapter 7 is how our entire life should be based around God. Basically we need to just have faith in God for even the small things. When our focus on God is top priority then the other things in our life, such as what will happen in the future, fall neatly into place. It's a really good book, I would highly recommend it.

Allegra, you don't give yourself enough credit - your descriptions were quite vivid :-). You are very right about living in the future vs living in the now. Like Nate said, we shouldn't live for the moment, but, like you were saying, we shouldn't really spend all our spare time just thinking about the future. I think the tendency can also go the other way as well; people can live in the past. Rather than just accepting the past and moving on, they tend to continually remember how x years ago was so nice. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

May 01, 2007 1:25 PM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Nate,
Thank you for making the distinction between living FOR and living IN the moment. You're much more succinct...

Chris,
I agree with you about the constant longing for something more being our longing for heaven. Even those who don't know it really are longing for heaven.

Chris and Mark,
Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you enjoyed reading.

Mark,
Good point about living in the past as well as the future and present. I KNEW I was forgetting SOMETHING. :) But it does seem like we teenagers tend to live in/for the future rather than the past...living in the past will probably happen as we get a little older and realize that what we were looking forward to isn't that great...

Well, there isn't much to discuss on this post (maybe because it was too long...;) ), so what should I write about next? Or would someone else like to write something deep and insightful? I enjoy hearing what y'all have to say. What an awesome community we have even on the internet.

God bless!

P.S. Yes, Chris, Dakota was correct (I don't remember WHY he knows so much about my name...): my real name is Allegra. :)

May 02, 2007 4:17 PM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Oh, Nate, thanks for your compliment, too. :)

May 02, 2007 4:17 PM  
Blogger Mark Watson said...

Totally, Allegra. I was just mentioning it as a category you forgot :-P. But yeah, it's not like tenagers have much to look back to.

But it's kind of funny (in a sad way), that some people live there life looking foward to some point and then the rest of their life, after they reach that point, looking back to it. Instead we need to just trust God and live for Him.

I would give you another topic to write about next, but I can't think of anything right now...

May 04, 2007 8:17 AM  
Blogger Dakota said...

Nice job Allegra. I enjoyed it—a good reminder as I go off to college.

And I make it a habit of mine to remember random facts about people. ;-)

May 04, 2007 9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home