Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Job hunting

Wow! I just got done working out and giving applications to various companies (namely Subway, Papa Murphy's and Wendy's). I never knew it was so hard! Everyone who is hunting for a job, I really admire you. If you haven't found a job yet, keep it up!!! Wendy's wanted to do an interview with me this afternoon at 2:15 (yeah...I walked in there, handed my application to the lady--she looked at it and then asked if I could come in this afternoon), but Mom couldn't take me over there, and I'm *this* close to having my license, but I don't yet. Grr...So tomorrow will hopefully be the day. Quite honestly, I don't care to work at Wendy's, but it's worth a try to go interview anyway. Any hints on how to do interviews? If anyone is looking for a job right now, I'd say the most successful strategy is to fill out as many applications as possible online and in paper form, then hand the paper to the manager if possible. Be nice and look nice, too...

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark Watson said...

I know how you feel about working fast food... I got the job at Sprint, but then they found I'm not 18 yet (they couldn't ask my age in the interview for legal reason, supposedly), and so I will be working at DQ. But hey, it's a job!

Here are a few things that I found helpful in interviews (from my very high experience from going to two whole interviews :-P). First, just be ready to think on your feet. They will ask questions that could throw you off, like "tell me about a situation where you saw something that needed to be done, and it wasn't your responsibility to do it, but you did it anyway" or "if you were working with an upset customer how would you handle the situation?". Also know exactly why you want to work at the company you are interviewing with. They will, without exception, ask you why you want to work there. And secondly, and you already have this down, just dress nice, act professional, and just be easy-going and likable. Smile a lot :-).

I hope you get the job! I'll be praying for you.

May 23, 2007 3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, they love asking really strange questions that somehow tell them something about how you relate to other people or can contribute to their team. It's interesting. Just look prepared, don't act completely awestruck at their questions, and be comfortable. Of course, I suppose you already had the interview. :P

Best luck!

May 23, 2007 7:12 PM  
Blogger Keith M. said...

My bro got a job through a temporary work agency and was working the next day. It worked really good for him? What state do you live in? I know here in PA it is kind of hard to get a job quickly

May 25, 2007 6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Act confident, smile alot, and look your interviewer straight in the eye. You'd be surprised how much it helps.

May 25, 2007 6:24 AM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Hey, guys, thanks so very much for your comments, well-wishes and suggestions! They really helped me prepare...now I wish I was better at impromptu, but honesty is still the best method for answering questions. ;)

Keith, I'm in Colorado. I think it really depends on how desperate the place you applied for wants you, as well as who you give the application to...just ask Mark. :P

May 26, 2007 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home